Episode 4 | Engaging the Scriptures for Transformation

What happens to a leader’s soul when s/he only engages Scripture for ministry? Steve asks for a friend. 😉 What can a pastor or leader do when they are no longer encountering God in Scripture? Join us for an enlightening discussion about the practice of finding yourself in the Biblical story — especially difficult for leaders who want to “make it happen.” Ruth affirms the importance of moving from information to transformation in our approach to Scripture, and emphasizes how important it is for pastors to create space for God to surprise them through Scripture. All this and more in episode 4 of Season 1: Sacred Rhythms in the Life of the Leader.

Mentioned in the podcast:

The book for leaders who want make sure they don't lose track of their own soul.

Transforming Center

desires to see churches and Christian organizations become communities of authentic spiritual transformation – and that begins with transforming leaders. We seek to strengthen the souls of pastors and leaders, equipping them to guide their churches and organizations to become spiritually transforming communities that discern and do the will of God in their settings. Read more about the Transforming Center.

1. Katishia on May 16, 2017 at 7:16 am

What is the Corinthians 10 Scripture referenced by Ruth?

• Jeffery James on May 17, 2017 at 10:43 am

I listened to the podcast again and did not hear Ruth mention the passage. Can you tell a time into the episode?

• Katishia on May 19, 2017 at 5:57 am

It’s about the 28-min mark

• Katishia on May 19, 2017 at 5:58 am

Regarding living within limits. Thanks!

• Ruth Barton on May 31, 2017 at 1:09 pm

The passage I referred to is II Corinthians 10:12-17.

• Katishia on June 1, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Many thanks!!

2. Steve Wiens on May 6, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Hi Stephanie! Here is the site: http://www.ontheeighthday.com – enjoy!

• Stephanie Regester on May 11, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Wonderful, thank you!

• Stephanie Snow on June 11, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Thanks – I was looking for this too!

3. Stephanie Regester on May 4, 2017 at 11:58 am

Hi, can you provide the link to the Lectio Divina readings website (linked to the common lectionary, I believe) mentioned in the podcast? Someone from Steve’s church set it up. It sounds just like what I’m looking for. Thanks so much for the podcast, I’m finding it a tall glass of fresh water in this busy season and am recommending it to all my ministry friends.

• Jeffery James on May 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm

You can find it right on our website under resources, but here is the link. You can also visit Vanderbilt Divinity Library, they have a great online resource. Glad the podcast has been refreshing you, please leave a review and a rating on iTunes. This will help more people find it. Blessing on your journey!

• Stephanie Regester on May 5, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for the response! I was actually looking for the website where there are audio readings of the scripture available (I know I can also listen on the Bible App). I believe the host said someone from his church had launched such a service. But I do appreciate the links provided, they will be helpful. I’ll definitely review the podcast soon.i

• Jeffery James on May 5, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I will ask Steve to reply.